Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sometimes it be like woah

It's currently 2:46 p.m. on Sunday. My tummy is rumbling, my breath stinks of cheese and beer and my brain is violently attempting to exit my cavernous skull. The familiar signs of boozing and loosing have me feeling like I had my ass kicked... hard. Which in not untrue. Indeed something walloped my fanny last night. It was Larry and His Flask.

Guinness, yelling and beards were the order of the evening. I knew LAHF could bring the pain to such a degree that the Richter scale wouldn't be able to keep up. I didn't know they could bring said pain with a deliciously Irish sensibility. I felt like gorging on raw potatoes and screaming Gaelic blibber blabber during the entire show. There's a reason these six Oregonian gentlemen and one remarkably friendly girlfriend await a tour with The Dropkick Murphys. The reason is because they could make Mahatma Ghandi get buck wild.

A man named Tom VandenAvond was playing some interesting folk music when I entered. Apparently he too engaged in the ass-kicking business. His voice was strong. It was a tried and true, a veteran brand of strength that not many can attain. It was the kind of strength that you can only acquire after years of a pack-a-day habit. It was strength that never quivers but rests gently beside the realm of complete and utter despair. Basically, I had the distinct impression Tom had been through some shit, both good and bad.

Then he invited most of LAHF onstage for a few songs. They played "Dirty Old Town." If you are unfamiliar with "Dirty Old Town," you are a bad person. If you live in Athens and aren't familiar with "Dirty Old Town," there is no hope for you. Call it a life and move to Detroit immediately. "Dirty Old Town" is a song by The Pogues, who essentially wrote the book on keeping it real (which interestingly enough was co-authored by A Tribe Called Quest and Beethoven. Here is a Wikipedia article about this book). The wonderful cover left all in the audience weak in the knees. It was like listening to Jameson.

There isn't much more I can say about the rest of the evening that hasn't already been said about Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. It was perfect, took less than six hours to enjoy and left me with the desire for more. I can confidently say it was one of the best shows I've seen in Athens in some time.

-Davis Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment