Friday, February 7, 2014

ACRN Presents: Sal Lake, Method Air & Vio/Miré / February 6, 2014 / The Smiling Skull

By: Megan Fair, Copy Editor

The Smiling Skull was filled to the brim last night for a stacked ACRN show. The night featured rad tunes from Sal LakeMethod Air and Vio/Miré. The diverse line-up was way cool, and it was fun to see the Skull so bumpin'.

Sal Lake's set was probably my favorite Sal Lake set thus far. Between the crescendos of chaos and overwhelming noise, there were pieces of floating electronic music that flowed along in a sweet and energetic way. At points it felt dance-y, but it was very interesting. It was, oddly enough, a brief set, but it was good while it lasted. Hats off to you, Sir Lake.

Vio/Miré performed probably one of the most beautiful sets I have ever witnessed in Athens. It was a shame that many people talked through their set and the crowded venue kept the sounds of their gorgeous music from the front half of the Skull. But I weaseled my way slowly to the front corner, and I'm so glad that I did. The impeccable cello work of Emily was chill-inducing, and Brendan's vocals were silky and soothing. I melted into my own universe as I watched them, especially during "Foxes." It was a soul-shaking experience. I hope I get the opportunity to see them many more times in my life.

Method Air took the stage after Vio/Miré and changed the tone from soft and magical to wonderfully energetic. Method Air never ceases to impress me with its energy and musical prowess. The post-punk sound is ever enthralling and always varied. It was a really great way to close out the show, and it was probably the most packed I've ever seen the Skull. It was supremely cool to see so many people huddled around Method Air immersing themselves in local jams on a random, icy Thursday in February. 

No comments:

Post a Comment